Table of contents
About this book
The book focuses on major aspects of Norbert Elias's social theory through research on supposed “minor” topics, such as manners, sports, leisure and cultural practices. While many of his publications became essential for scholars in the different disciplines concerned, the development of the figurational approach towards these fields was not always completed. The edited volume picks up some lose ends by including archive manuscripts by Elias on the genesis of sport, developments of cultural practices, and the sociology of the body, which are published here for the very first time. Based on critical reviews of these texts, international experts show how the new material adds up to Elias’s oeuvre and how it can be fruitfully applied to current research.
- Leisure and culture
- Sportisation and 'modernisation'
- Sport, violence and state formation
- Sociology of the body
Students and reseachers of sociology, social and cultural sciences, sports, and history
Dr. Jan Haut is researcher and lecturer at the Department of Sports Sciences, Goethe University Frankfurt (Germany).
Dr. Paddy Dolan is a senior lecturer in the Department of Social Sciences, Dublin Institute of Technology (Ireland).
Dr. Dieter Reicher is associated professor at the University of Graz (Austria).
Dr. Raúl Sánchez García is lecturer of Sociology of Sport at the Universidad Europea in Madrid (Spain).
Figurational Sociology Leisure Cultural Sociology Sport History Sociology of the Body Social Theory
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Excitement Processes
- Book Subtitle Norbert Elias's unpublished works on sports, leisure, body, culture
Raúl Sánchez García
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-14912-3
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH 2018
- Publisher Name Springer VS, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-658-14911-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-658-14912-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages IX, 322
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Sociology of Culture
Knowledge - Discourse
- Buy this book on publisher's site