About this book
Enrico Michelini illustrates that sport plays a very marginal role in the contemporary health promotion. This is the main result of the present analysis of national strategies for the promotion of physical activity issued by the health ministries of France, Germany, and Italy. All these health-strategies are rather ambiguous on this subject: They mention sport systematically as an abstract term, but they marginalise it as a medium of health in its traditional-competitive form. As a consequence, while sport has generally been considered healthy over a long period in the past, most health organisations today recommend only moderate physical activity as conducive to good health. The author examines this paradigmatic change in the international discussion about the forms of health-enhancing physical activity through a theoretical framework based on Luhmann’s systems theory.
- The Acceptance of Sport in the Health System
- Defining Health, Physical Activity, Sport, and Their Relationship
- Health and Sport Systems
- Relationships between Sport and Health Systems
- Governance in the Promotion of Physical Activity
- What Role Do Sport Organizations Have?
- Researchers and students in the fields of sport science and sport sociology
Enrico Michelini did his doctorate in sport science at the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen and in cotutelle with the University of Turin. He is currently a postdoc at the Institute of Sport and Sport Science of the TU Dortmund.
- Book Title The Role of Sport in Health-Related Promotion of Physical Activity
- Book Subtitle The Perspective of the Health System
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-08188-1
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden 2015
- Publisher Name Springer VS, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-658-08187-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-658-08188-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 198
- Number of Illustrations 27 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking