Table of contents
About this book
This book provides a molecular view of membrane transport by means of numerous biochemical and biophysical techniques. The rapidly growing number of atomic structures of transporters in different conformations and the constant progress in bioinformatics have recently added deeper insights.
The unifying mechanism of energized solute transport across membranes is assumed to consist of the conformational cycling of a carrier protein to provide access to substrate binding sites from either side of a cellular membrane.
Due to the central role of active membrane transport there is considerable interest in deciphering the principles of one of the most fundamental processes in nature: the alternating access mechanism.
This book brings together particularly significant structure-function studies on a variety of carrier systems from different transporter families: Glutamate symporters, LeuT-like fold transporters, MFS transporters and SMR (RND) exporters, as well as ABC-type importers.
The selected examples impressively demonstrate how the combination of functional analysis, crystallography, investigation of dynamics and computational studies has made it possible to create a conclusive picture, or, more precisely, “a molecular movie”. Although we are still far from a complete molecular description of the alternating access mechanism, remarkable progress has been made from static snapshots towards membrane transport dynamics.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Membrane Transport Mechanism
- Book Subtitle 3D Structure and Beyond
- Series Title Springer Series in Biophysics
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Ser.Biophysics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-53839-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-53838-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-662-52305-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-53839-1
- Series ISSN 0932-2353
- Series E-ISSN 1868-2561
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 272
- Number of Illustrations 9 b/w illustrations, 56 illustrations in colour
Biological and Medical Physics, Biophysics
Crystallography and Scattering Methods
- Buy this book on publisher's site