Table of contents
About this book
Covering the years 2008-2012, this book profiles the life and work of recent winners of the Abel Prize:
· John G. Thompson and Jacques Tits, 2008
· Mikhail Gromov, 2009
· John T. Tate Jr., 2010
· John W. Milnor, 2011
· Endre Szemerédi, 2012.
The profiles feature autobiographical information as well as a description of each mathematician's work. In addition, each profile contains a complete bibliography, a curriculum vitae, as well as photos — old and new. As an added feature, interviews with the Laureates are presented on an accompanying web site (http://extras.springer.com/).
The book also presents a history of the Abel Prize written by the historian Kim Helsvig, and includes a facsimile of a letter from Niels Henrik Abel, which is transcribed, translated into English, and placed into historical perspective by Christian Skau.
This book follows on The Abel Prize: 2003-2007, The First Five Years (Springer, 2010), which profiles the work of the first Abel Prize winners.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-39449-2
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-39448-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-39449-2
- Series Print ISSN 2661-829X
- Series Online ISSN 2661-8303
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking