About this book
The stages of Blastocystis have been known for 101 years. However, many facts are still disputed, e.g. even the question whether it is a true pathogen or a commensal present in sometimes life-threatening diarrheas.
The present book evaluates in chapters contributed by renowned researchers the latest findings on:
•Landmarks in the discovery of Blastocystis
•Epidemiology, transmission and zoonotic potential
•Morphology of human and animal Blastocystis isolates
•Clinical aspects of Blastocystis infections
•Behavioral decision analysis: what makes us sick?
•Molecular approaches on the systematical position
•Blastocystis from a statistical point of view
•Diarrheas due to different agents of disease
•Zoonotic diseases in comparison
As such, this book provides a broad range of information for people working in this field, for physicians and veterinarians who are confronted with clinical cases, teachers, students and technical staff members in the fields of microbiology, parasitology and diagnostic methods.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Blastocystis: Pathogen or Passenger?
- Book Subtitle An Evaluation of 101 Years of Research
Kevin S. W. Tan
- Series Title Parasitology Research Monographs
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-32738-4
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-32737-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-43306-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-32738-4
- Series ISSN 2192-3671
- Series E-ISSN 2192-368X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 228
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Buy this book on publisher's site