Table of contents
About this book
Deep Brain Stimulation: A New Frontier in Psychiatry provides an overview of current developments and the future possibilities of deep brain stimulation for patients with therapy-refractory psychiatric disorders. The side-by-side presentation of clinical applications and animal research provides a truly translational approach. Also included is a special chapter on the ethical issues involved in deep brain stimulation in psychiatry.
Deep brain stimulation of selected brain areas has been shown to result in a substantial improvement of symptoms and quality of life in patients suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder and drug addiction. Although it is still an experimental therapy and the number of psychiatric patients that are treated is low, its effectiveness and safety makes deep brain stimulation the most promising therapy for treating other serious and life-threatening psychiatric conditions.
Deep Brain Stimulation: A New Frontier in Psychiatry is written for researchers in the area of (bio)medicine, life sciences, psychiatry, psychology, functional neurosurgery, neurosciences and neurobiology.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Deep Brain Stimulation
- Book Subtitle A New Frontier in Psychiatry
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30991-5
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-30990-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-43470-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-30991-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XII, 300
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site