About this book
Polymer composites offer the possibility for functional integration since the material is produced simultaneously with the product. The efficiency of composite structures raises through functional integration. The specific production processes of composites offer the possibility to improve and to integrate more functions thus making the structure more valuable. Passive functions can be improved by combination of different materials from nano to macro scale, i.e. strength, toughness, bearing strength, compression after impact properties or production tolerances.
Active functions can be realized by smart materials, i.e. morphing, active vibration control, active structure acoustic control or structure health monitoring.
The basis is a comprehensive understanding of materials, simulation, design methods, production technologies and adaptronics. These disciplines together deliver advanced lightweight solutions for applications ranging from mechanical engineering to vehicles, airframe and space structures along the complete process chain.
The book provides basics as well as inspiring ideas for engineers working in the field of adaptive, tolerant and robust composite structures.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Adaptive, tolerant and efficient composite structures
- Series Title Research Topics in Aerospace
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-29190-6
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-29189-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-44531-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-29190-6
- Series ISSN 2194-8240
- Series E-ISSN 2194-8259
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 464
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Aerospace Technology and Astronautics
Ceramics, Glass, Composites, Natural Materials
Vibration, Dynamical Systems, Control
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the book reviews:
“This edited volume provides a comprehensive overview of the synthesis of active composite structures. … The book would be of interest to practitioners interested in the linkage between material properties, manufacturing, and applications for ‘smart’ and ‘adaptive’ structures.” (IEEE Control Systems Magazine, October, 2013)