Table of contents
About this book
Polymer composites offer the possibility for functional integration since the material is produced simultaneously with the product. The efficiency of composite structures raises through functional integration. The specific production processes of composites offer the possibility to improve and to integrate more functions thus making the structure more valuable. Passive functions can be improved by combination of different materials from nano to macro scale, i.e. strength, toughness, bearing strength, compression after impact properties or production tolerances.
Active functions can be realized by smart materials, i.e. morphing, active vibration control, active structure acoustic control or structure health monitoring.
The basis is a comprehensive understanding of materials, simulation, design methods, production technologies and adaptronics. These disciplines together deliver advanced lightweight solutions for applications ranging from mechanical engineering to vehicles, airframe and space structures along the complete process chain.
The book provides basics as well as inspiring ideas for engineers working in the field of adaptive, tolerant and robust composite structures.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-29190-6
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-29189-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-29190-6
- Series Print ISSN 2194-8240
- Series Online ISSN 2194-8259
- Buy this book on publisher's site