Table of contents
About this book
This volume is an introduction to nonlinear waves and soliton theory in the special environment of compact spaces such a closed curves and surfaces and other domain contours. It assumes familiarity with basic soliton theory and nonlinear dynamical systems.
The first part of the book introduces the mathematical concept required for treating the manifolds considered, providing relevant notions from topology and differential geometry. An introduction to the theory of motion of curves and surfaces - as part of the emerging field of contour dynamics - is given.
The second and third parts discuss the modeling of various physical solitons on compact systems, such as filaments, loops and drops made of almost incompressible materials thereby intersecting with a large number of physical disciplines from hydrodynamics to compact object astrophysics.
This book is intended for graduate students and researchers in mathematics, physics and engineering.
This new edition has been thoroughly revised, expanded and updated.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-22895-7
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-22894-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-22895-7
- Series Print ISSN 0172-7389
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Energy, Utilities & Environment