About this book
The creation and consumption of content, especially visual content, is ingrained into our modern world. This book contains a collection of texts centered on the evaluation of image retrieval systems. To enable reproducible evaluation we must create standardized benchmarks and evaluation methodologies. The individual chapters in this book highlight major issues and challenges in evaluating image retrieval systems and describe various initiatives that provide researchers with the necessary evaluation resources. In particular they describe activities within ImageCLEF, an initiative to evaluate cross-language image retrieval systems which has been running as part of the Cross Language Evaluation Forum (CLEF) since 2003.
To this end, the editors collected contributions from a range of people: those involved directly with ImageCLEF, such as the organizers of specific image retrieval or annotation tasks; participants who have developed techniques to tackle the challenges set forth by the organizers; and people from industry and academia involved with image retrieval and evaluation generally.
Mostly written for researchers in academia and industry, the book stresses the importance of combing textual and visual information – a multimodal approach – for effective retrieval. It provides the reader with clear ideas about information retrieval and its evaluation in contexts and domains such as healthcare, robot vision, press photography, and the Web.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title ImageCLEF
- Book Subtitle Experimental Evaluation in Visual Information Retrieval
- Series Title The Information Retrieval Series
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-15181-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-642-15180-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-642-26463-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-642-15181-1
- Series ISSN 1387-5264
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVIII, 544
- Number of Illustrations 122 b/w illustrations, 16 illustrations in colour
Information Storage and Retrieval
Image Processing and Computer Vision
System Performance and Evaluation
- Buy this book on publisher's site