About this book
This concise and self-contained primer is based on class-tested notes for an advanced graduate course in MHD. The broad areas chosen for presentation are the derivation and properties of the fundamental equations, equilibrium, waves and instabilities, self-organization, turbulence, and dynamos. The latter topics require the inclusion of the effects of resistivity and nonlinearity.
Together, these span the range of MHD issues that have proven to be important for understanding magnetically confined plasmas as well as in some space and astrophysical applications. The combined length and style of the thirty-eight lectures are appropriate for complete presentation in a single semester.
An extensive appendix on extended MHD is included as further reading.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-00688-3
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-00687-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-00688-3
- Series Print ISSN 0075-8450
- Series Online ISSN 1616-6361
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Energy, Utilities & Environment