About this book
Endosymbiosis is a primary force in eukaryotic cell evolution. In order to understand the molecular mechanisms involved in this mutualistic relationship, experiments to reproduce endosymbiosis are indispensable. The ciliate "Paramecium" is an ideal host for performing such studies.
Topics presented in this volume are: the origins of algal and bacterial symbionts in "Paramecium", the diversity of endosymbiotic bacteria, such as "Holospora" bacteria and especially "Chlorella" species, as well as the infection and maintenance processes.
The metabolic control, the regulation of circadian rhythms and photobiological aspects of the mutualistic association, as well as the killer effect of "Paramecium" and its causative agents are further points discussed.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-92677-1
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-92676-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-92677-1
- Series Print ISSN 1862-5576
- Series Online ISSN 1862-5584
- Buy this book on publisher's site