About this book
This is the first ever book devoted entirely to the chemical ecology of algae. Algae from both marine and freshwater habitats are covered, as are macroalgae (seaweeds) and microalgae (including phytoplankton). While its main emphasis is on the ecological rather than chemical aspects of the field, the book also includes a unique introductory chapter intended as a primer on algal natural products chemistry for ecologists. It elucidates the roles of chemical defenses in various regions and habitats, of DMSP, oxidative burst responses, and herbivore offense. Topics such as algal sensory chemical ecology and defenses against ultraviolet radiation are also treated, and an introduction to the chemical ecology of phytoplankton is provided.
Focusing on recent advances and also on topics particularly useful for undergraduate and graduate level courses, Algal Chemical Ecology is designed for research biologists working in the field as well as marine ecologists and algal biologists seeking an introductory guide.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-74181-7
- Copyright Information Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-74180-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-74181-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site