About this book
Genomics research on animals has generated huge databases and several new concepts and strategies, which are used to elucidate origin, evolution and phylogeny of species. Genetic and physical maps of genomes give details on chromosomal location, function, expression and regulation of genes. The series Genome Mapping and Genomics in Animals provides comprehensive and up-to-date reviews on genomic research on selected animal systems contributed by leading scientists from around the world.
This volume offers information on gene mapping and genomics research in domesticated and farmed animals including cattle, water buffalo, sheep, deer, poultry, turkeys, rabbits, dogs and pigs. While the genome maps for some species are very limited, full genome sequences are available for cattle, chickens and dogs. Genomic research contributes to the identification of genetic regions that control the functionality and well-being of animals. Several farmed species are also used as models for biomedical studies.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-73835-0
- Copyright Information Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-73834-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-73835-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors