Table of contents
About this book
Starting from Mars outward this concise handbook provides thorough information on the satellites of the planets in the solar system. Each chapter begins with a section on the discovery and the naming of the planet's satellites or rings. This is followed by a section presenting the historic sources of those names. The book contains tables with the orbital and physical parameters of all satellites and is illustrated throughout with modern photos of the planets and their moons as well as historical and mythological drawings. The Cyrillic transcriptions of the satellite names are provided in a register.
Readers interested in the history of astronomy and its mythological backgrounds will enjoy this beautiful volume.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-68853-2
- Copyright Information Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-540-68852-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-540-68853-2
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors