About this book
This textbook is an introduction to the Brownian motion of colloids and nano-particles, and the diffusion of molecules.
One very appealing aspect of Brownian motion, as this book illustrates, is that the subject connects a broad variety of topics, including thermal physics, hydrodynamics, reaction kinetics, fluctuation phenomena, statistical thermodynamics, osmosis and colloid science.
The book is based on a set of lecture notes that the authors used for an undergraduate course at the University of Utrecht, Netherland. It aims to provide more than a simplified qualitative description of the subject, without getting bogged down in difficult mathematics.
Each chapter contains exercises, ranging from straightforward ones to more involved problems, addressing instances from (thermal motion in) chemistry, physics and life sciences. Exercises also deal with derivations or calculations that are skipped in the main text.
The book offers a treatment of Brownian motion on a level appropriate for bachelor/undergraduate students of physics, chemistry, soft matter and the life sciences. PhD students attending courses and doing research in colloid science or soft matter will also benefit from this book.
- Book Title Brownian Motion
- Book Subtitle Elements of Colloid Dynamics
- Series Title Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics
- Series Abbreviated Title Undergraduate Lect. Notes Physics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-98053-9
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-98052-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-07444-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-98053-9
- Series ISSN 2192-4791
- Series E-ISSN 2192-4805
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 178
- Number of Illustrations 35 b/w illustrations, 15 illustrations in colour
Soft and Granular Matter, Complex Fluids and Microfluidics
Fluid- and Aerodynamics
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Consumer Packaged Goods