About this book
This book explores how music can improve skills that are impaired in some neurodevelopmental disorders, including ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), autism, and Rett syndrome. Rehabilitation interventions based on the use of music, termed “music therapy”, are relatively widespread, but not all are supported by empirical evidence. This book offers readers an updated and scientifically grounded perspective on this theory and argues that music can be effective in promoting the acquisition of some basic mental abilities. Chapters present some of the latest research and data on how musical activities can lead children affected by neurodevelopmental disorders to improve those skills, including examples of training programs and exercises. The book will be a valuable resource for therapists, rehabilitators, psychologists, educators, musicians, researchers, as well as anyone interested in exploring the potential in music for human growth.
Alessandro Antonietti is Professor of Applied Cognitive Psychology at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Italy. There he is the head of the Department of Psychology and coordinates the Cognitive Psychology Lab. His research interests lie in the applications of cognitive issues in the field of instruction and rehabilitation.
Barbara Colombo is Associate Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience at Champlain College, USA, where she is Head of the Neuroscience Lab. Her most recent research has been focused on exploring the role of individual differences in modulating cognitive and emotional behaviours.
Braelyn R. DeRocher is affiliated with the Neuroscience Lab at Champlain College, USA. His research interests are related to empathy, aggression, and personal empowerment, focusing on at-risk youth.
social skills in autism rehabilitation interventions neurodevelopmental disorders self-regulation in ADHD Rett syndrome Music therapy Impulse control clinical psychology mental processing ADHD treatment music intervention programs motor coordination in Rett syndrome
- Book Title Music Interventions for Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-97151-3
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-97150-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-07310-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-97151-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIII, 98
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals