About this book
This White Paper describes the state of astrobiology in Europe today and its relation to the European society at large. With contributions from authors in twenty countries and over thirty scientific institutions worldwide, the document illustrates the societal implications of astrobiology and the positive contribution that astrobiology can make to European society.
The White paper has two main objectives: 1. It recommends the establishment of a European Astrobiology Institute (EAI) as an answer to a series of challenges relating to astrobiology but also European research, education and the society at large. 2. It also acknowledges the societal implications of astrobiology, and thus the role of the social sciences and humanities in optimizing the positive contribution that astrobiology can make to the lives of the people of Europe and the challenges they face.
This book is recommended reading for science policy makers, the interested public, and the astrobiology community.
Astrobiology in Europe European Astrobiology Institute Space humanities Space policy Ecological sustainability Science innovation Societal implications of astrobiology Research policy Life origins Habitable planets, Exoplanets
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96265-8
- Copyright Information The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-96264-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-96265-8
- Series Print ISSN 2191-9100
- Series Online ISSN 2191-9119
- Buy this book on publisher's site