About this book
This book explores the relationship between the sciences of representation and the strategy of landscape valorisation. The topic is connected to the theme of the image of the city, which is extended to the territory scale and applied to case studies in Italy’s Umbria region, where the goal is to strike a dynamic balance between cultural heritage and nature. The studies demonstrate how landscape represents an interpretive process of finding meaning, a product of the relationships between mankind and the places in which it lives.
The work proceeds from the assumption that it is possible to describe these connections between environment, territory and landscape by applying the Vitruvian triad, composed of Firmitas (solidity), Utilitas (utility) and Venustas(beauty). The environment, the sum of the conditions that influence all life, represents the place’s solidity, because it guarantees its survival. In turn, territory is connected to utility, and through its etymological meaning is linked to possession, to a domain; while landscape, as an “area perceived by people”, expresses the search for beauty in a given place, the process of critically interpreting a vision.
- Book Title Landscape Lab
- Book Subtitle Drawing, Perception and Design for the Next Landscape Models
- Series Title Urban and Landscape Perspectives
- Series Abbreviated Title Urban,Landscape Perspect.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-94150-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-94149-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-94150-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 291
- Number of Illustrations 42 b/w illustrations, 137 illustrations in colour
Landscape/Regional and Urban Planning
Simulation and Modeling
Computer-Aided Engineering (CAD, CAE) and Design
- Buy this book on publisher's site