About this book
This book explores the images and perceptions of the EU in the eyes of their Strategic Partners. Spanning four continents, these ten important global actors – the BRICS together with the USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea and Mexico – are of profound significance to the EU in economics, politics, security and global governance. In 2015, the volume’s editors and contributors were commissioned by the European External Action Service to research these countries’ perceptions towards the EU. The research highlights how in changing multilateral settings, images and perceptions significantly influence the behaviour and foreign policy choices of actors. The findings presented in this book helped to inform the content and focus of the 2016 EU Global Strategy, and will be of interest to scholars, students and practitioners of EU foreign policy, European integration and public diplomacy.
Natalia Chaban is Professor and Jean Monnet Chair at the National Centre for Research on Europe, University of Canterbury, New Zealand. She has published on image and political communication studies within international relations contexts involving the EU in numerous journals and books. Together with Martin Holland, she co-leads the internationally recognised project “EU Global Perceptions”, involving more than 30 locations since 2002.
Martin Holland holds a Jean Monnet Chair ad personam at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, and is the Director of New Zealand’s EU Centres Network. His research spans a wide range of EU policy areas: institutional integration, common foreign policy, development and EU perceptions. He regularly lectures at universities in China, Malaysia and Thailand as well as New Zealand.
European Union BRICs Global Strategy Euro-centrism strategic partnership agreement migration Brazil Canada China India Japan Mexico Russia South Africa South Korea United States global actors global perceptions of the EU EU partnerships EU global trade
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Shaping the EU Global Strategy
- Book Subtitle Partners and Perceptions
- Series Title The European Union in International Affairs
- Series Abbreviated Title The European Union in International Affairs
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92840-1
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-92839-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-06531-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-92840-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 272
- Number of Illustrations 47 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
European Union Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking