About this book
This concise text provides a gentle introduction to functional analysis. Chapters cover essential topics such as special spaces, normed spaces, linear functionals, and Hilbert spaces. Numerous examples and counterexamples aid in the understanding of key concepts, while exercises at the end of each chapter provide ample opportunities for practice with the material. Proofs of theorems such as the Uniform Boundedness Theorem, the Open Mapping Theorem, and the Closed Graph Theorem are worked through step-by-step, providing an accessible avenue to understanding these important results. The prerequisites for this book are linear algebra and elementary real analysis, with two introductory chapters providing an overview of material necessary for the subsequent text.
Functional Analysis offers an elementary approach ideal for the upper-undergraduate or beginning graduate student. Primarily intended for a one-semester introductory course, this text is also a perfect resource for independent study or as the basis for a reading course.
Functional analysis textbook Introductory functional analysis Normed space Banach space Inner product space Hilbert space Summable families Fundamental theorems of functional analysis Hahn-Banach theorem
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-91512-8
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-91511-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-91512-8
- Series Print ISSN 0172-5939
- Series Online ISSN 2191-6675
- Buy this book on publisher's site