About this book
This book assembles recent research on memory and learning in plants. Organisms that share a capability to store information about experiences in the past have an actively generated background resource on which they can compare and evaluate coming experiences in order to react faster or even better. This is an essential tool for all adaptation purposes. Such memory/learning skills can be found from bacteria up to fungi, animals and plants, although until recently it had been mentioned only as capabilities of higher animals. With the rise of epigenetics the context dependent marking of experiences on the genetic level is an essential perspective to understand memory and learning in organisms.
Plants are highly sensitive organisms that actively compete for environmental resources. They assess their surroundings, estimate how much energy they need for particular goals, and then realize the optimum variant. They take measures to control certain environmental resources. They perceive themselves and can distinguish between ‘self’ and ‘non-self’. They process and evaluate information and then modify their behavior accordingly.
The book will guide scientists in further investigations on these skills of plant behavior and on how plants mediate signaling processes between themselves and the environment in memory and learning processes.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Memory and Learning in Plants
- Series Title Signaling and Communication in Plants
- Series Abbreviated Title Signaling,Communication in Plants
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-75596-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-75595-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-09273-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-75596-0
- Series ISSN 1867-9048
- Series E-ISSN 1867-9056
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 222
- Number of Illustrations 12 b/w illustrations, 13 illustrations in colour
Plant Genetics and Genomics
- Buy this book on publisher's site