About this book
This book argues that some aspects of mental health practice have become mechanical, joyless and uninspiring, leading to a loss of creativity and wellbeing. A high level of wellbeing is essential to mental health and contemporary mental health care – and creativity is at the heart of this.
A greater awareness of everyday creativity, the arts and creative approaches to mental health practice, learning and leadership can help us reinvent and reinvigorate mental health care. This, combined with a clearer understanding of the complex concept of wellbeing, can enable practitioners to adopt fresh perspectives and roles that can enrich their work.
Creativity and wellbeing are fundamental to reducing occupational stress and promoting professional satisfaction. Introducing a new model of creative mental health care combined with recommendations for wellbeing, Creativity, Wellbeing and Mental Health Practice is a practical, evidence-based book for students, practitioners and researchers in mental health nursing and related disciplines.
psychiatric nursing mental health nursing wellbeing and mental health mental health practitioner creative arts creative therapy caring interventions psychosocial wellbeing arts therapy music therapy
- Book Title Creativity, Wellbeing and Mental Health Practice
- Series Title Palgrave Studies in Creativity and Culture
- Series Abbreviated Title Palgrave Studies in Creativity and Culture
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74884-9
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2018
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-74883-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-09096-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-74884-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 159
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Buy this book on publisher's site
"This book provides a new model for creative mental health and considers the notion of creativity and its interaction with the creative arts and caring interventions provided by mental health nurses. … There are no comparable books available in mental health nursing. This one is an easy read with a lot of excellent ideas and interventions. It is very useful, not only for mental health nurses, but for all mental health service providers.” (Laura Kelly, Doody's Book Reviews, May, 2018)