About this book
Now in its revised and updated second edition, this text provides a practical way of teaching genetic counseling helping skills. The contents can be used by genetic counselor educators and supervisors to facilitate student professional development, including gaining knowledge about basic helping skills; practicing using the skills specific to genetic counseling services; and understanding one's self as a professional in training. New topics include: the Reciprocal-Engagement Model (REM) of genetic counseling practice; research findings about genetic counselor professional development, values, compassion fatigue, burnout, and distress; expanded discussion of patient factors; and more attention to cultural issues. Every chapter contains updated literature, and both revised and new structured activities and written exercises.
Salient features of this second edition include:
• An “active” and “cooperative” pedagogical approach, with numerous structured activities and exercises emphasizing student self-reflection and engagement with core content.
• Inclusion of skills which comprise key elements within three competency domains for accreditation of genetic counseling training programs in North America: genetics expertise and analysis; interpersonal, psychosocial, and counseling skills and assessment; and professional development and practice.
• Content grounded in a widely-cited, empirically-derived model of genetic counseling practice.
• Inclusion of patient scenarios and roles for skills practice based on genetic counseling cases and reflecting recent developments in genetic knowledge, testing, and technologies.
Active and reflective learning Attending skills Compassion fatigue and burnout Confrontation skills Counselor self-reference Empathy Ethics Genetic counseling Genetic counseling model of practice Genetics Providing information Patient resistance Structuring genetic counseling sessions Professionalism Facilitating decision-making
- Book Title Facilitating the Genetic Counseling Process
- Book Subtitle Practice-Based Skills
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74799-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-74798-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-74799-6
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XX, 404
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 1 illustrations in colour
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“This book is a great tool for genetic counseling faculty members and should be included in the genetic counseling curriculum. … This is a well-planned book and it presents the information well.” (Luis F Escobar, Doody's Book Reviews, February, 2019)