About this book
This book provides an introduction to Swarm Robotics, which is the application of methods from swarm intelligence to robotics. It goes on to present methods that allow readers to understand how to design large-scale robot systems by going through many example scenarios on topics such as aggregation, coordinated motion (flocking), task allocation, self-assembly, collective construction, and environmental monitoring. The author explains the methodology behind building multiple, simple robots and how the complexity emerges from the multiple interactions between these robots such that they are able to solve difficult tasks. The book can be used as a short textbook for specialized courses or as an introduction to Swarm Robotics for graduate students, researchers, and professionals who want a concise introduction to the field.
- Provides a quick introduction to the robotics aspect of swarm intelligence;
- Outlines how swarm robotics is relevant as a key technology in robotics, transport, and medicine (nanorobotics), with many references to real world examples and popular literature;
- Allows readers to acquire the fundamentals of how to design and model a swarm robotic system, including relevant mathematical definitions and tools.
the study of how large number of robots, so-called robot swarms,
interact among themselves and with fellow humans to organize their
activities and perform ever more complex tasks is becoming of paramount
importance. With this book on swarm robotics, Heiko Hamann gives an
important contribution to the foundations of this exciting research field."
Prof. Marco Dorigo, Ph.D.
Directeur de Recherches du FNRS
Université libre de Bruxelles
- Book Title Swarm Robotics: A Formal Approach
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74528-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-74526-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-89279-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-74528-2
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 210
- Number of Illustrations 20 b/w illustrations, 71 illustrations in colour
Communications Engineering, Networks
Signal, Image and Speech Processing
Robotics and Automation
- Buy this book on publisher's site