About this book
This forward-looking resource offers readers a modern contextual framework for conducting social science research with indigenous peoples. Foundational chapters summarize current UN-based standards for indigenous rights and autonomy, with their implications for research practice. Coverage goes on to detail minimally-invasive data-gathering methods, survey current training and competency issues, and consider the scientist’s role in research, particularly as a product of his/her own cultural background. From these guidelines and findings, students and professionals have a robust base for carrying out indigenous research that is valid and reliable as well as respectful and ethical.Among the topics covered:
· Cultural theories and cultural dominance.
· The legal framework of research in indigenous contexts.
· The role of language within indigenous peoples’ cultural rights.
· Methodology: how to optimally collect data in the field.· Researchers’ influence and philosophy of science.
· Learning how to prepare research in indigenous contexts.
Research Methods in Indigenous Contexts is an important reference benefitting a wide audience, including students and researchers in the social sciences, humanities, and psychology; decision-makers of NGOs and GOs that act with regard to humanitarian aid, for tourism projects, or any other contingency with indigenous contexts; and policymakers interested in the aspects of human activity upon which indigenous cultural concerns are based.
- Book Title Research Methods in Indigenous Contexts
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72776-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-72774-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-89206-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-72776-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 236
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Methodology of the Social Sciences
- Buy this book on publisher's site