About this book
This clear and concise textbook provides a rigorous introduction to the calculus of variations, depending on functions of one variable and their first derivatives. It is based on a translation of a German edition of the book Variationsrechnung (Vieweg+Teubner Verlag, 2010), translated and updated by the author himself. Topics include: the Euler-Lagrange equation for one-dimensional variational problems, with and without constraints, as well as an introduction to the direct methods. The book targets students who have a solid background in calculus and linear algebra, not necessarily in functional analysis. Some advanced mathematical tools, possibly not familiar to the reader, are given along with proofs in the appendix. Numerous figures, advanced problems and proofs, examples, and exercises with solutions accompany the book, making it suitable for self-study.
The book will be particularly useful for beginning graduate students from the physical, engineering, and mathematical sciences with a rigorous theoretical background.
- Book Title Calculus of Variations
- Book Subtitle An Introduction to the One-Dimensional Theory with Examples and Exercises
- Series Title Texts in Applied Mathematics
- Series Abbreviated Title Texts in Applied Math.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71123-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-71122-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-89038-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-71123-2
- Series ISSN 0939-2475
- Series E-ISSN 2196-9949
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 227
- Number of Illustrations 59 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control; Optimization
- Buy this book on publisher's site