About this book
‘This volume makes an important contribution to our knowledge about how teachers can combine research and practice in addressing classroom issues. Case studies show in detail how individual teachers employ diverse methods to understand their students and "transform their classrooms", and provide us with rich insider accounts of teacher learning.’
—Adrian Holliday, Professor of Applied Linguistics and Intercultural Education, University of Canterbury, UK
This book explores the use of Exploratory Practice (EP) as a tool for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by language teachers, and responds to the increasing demand for teachers to engage in research. It presents the results of a unique two-year longitudinal study that critically examines the implementation of EP by teachers of English and modern foreign languages. Through these case studies, the authors provide a critical account of EP as a form of practitioner research that bridges the divide between theory and practice. It emphasizes the centrality of teacher and learner learning in language education curriculum improvement, and gives a voice to teachers’ perspectives on using EP in the classroom. This book will be of interest to language education professionals and scholars working in Applied Linguistics and Language Education.
Assia Slimani-Rolls is Head of Research and Professional Development at the Institute of Languages and Culture, Regent’s University London, UK.
Richard Kiely is Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes in Modern Languages and Linguistics at the University of Southampton, UK.
English for Academic Purposes Teacher education Curriculum improvement Modern foreign languages (MFL) English Language Teaching (ELT) Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Continuing Professional Development (CDP) Exploratory Practice (EP) language education Applied Linguistics language classroom learner feedback collaborative inquiry learner-generated materials
- Book Title Exploratory Practice for Continuing Professional Development
- Book Subtitle An Innovative Approach for Language Teachers
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69763-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-69762-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-09910-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-69763-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 213
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Teaching and Teacher Education
- Buy this book on publisher's site