About this book
This book describes the tools, developed by the author, for perturbing endogenous mechano-sensitive ion channels for magneto-mechanical neuro-modulation. He explores the ways in which these tools compare against existing ones such as electricity, chemicals, optogenetics, and techniques like thermos/magneto-genetics. The author also reports on two platforms—magnetic ratcheting and magnetic microfluidics for directed evolution and high throughput culture of magnetotactic bacteria—that produce high quality magnetic nanoparticles for biomedical applications like neural stimulations. This thesis was submitted to and approved by the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Introduces technology for non-invasive control of neural activities that offer deep tissue penetration and controllable dosage;
- Examines the effects of biomechanical forces on cellular functions;
- Explores how to improve the reproducibility and uptake of magnetic tools for non-invasive neural modulation.
Biomechanical forces Cellular functions Magnetic nanoparticle synthesis Microfluidic bioreactor Traumatic brain injury Circuitry and plasticity Synapses and neurotransmitter release Gene expression and calcium influx Neurite growth Brain folding
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69059-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-69058-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-69059-9
- Series Print ISSN 2190-5053
- Series Online ISSN 2190-5061
- Buy this book on publisher's site