About this book
This book presents the morphology, possible mechanisms of formation, and clinical relevance of tumor deposits (TDs) in different organs and parts of the body. It also describes the diagnostic features that are currently available for TDs and discusses the prognostic impact of TDs. The poor prognostic and predictive values of TDs were found to be as strong as distant metastasis in different series.
TDs, best characterized by colorectal cancer, are irregular discrete tumor masses that are discontinuous from the leading edge of the tumor. However, even in colorectal cancers, the place of TDs in tumor staging (tumor, lymph node and distant metastasis categories) remains controversial. This book presents the possible mechanisms of TD formation, including neurotrophic and angiotrophic extravascular migratory metastasis, in comparison with the well-known mechanisms of metastasis. It also shows that TDs were identified in esophageal, gastric, salivary gland, head and neck, and breast carcinomas. The possible mechanisms leading to the frequent association of TDs and peritoneal carcinomatosis are discussed.
This is a valuable resource for pathologists, oncologists, and surgeons who are looking for detailed information on the latest scientific insights into the pathology and prognostic implications of TDs.
Tumor Deposits Extranodal metastasis Colorectal Carcinoma Head and Neck Carcinoma Peritoneal Carcinomatosis Satellite nodules Breast carcinoma Gastric carcinoma Mechanisms of metastasis Angiotrophic migratory metastasis
- Book Title Tumor Deposits
- Book Subtitle Mechanism, Morphology and Prognostic Implications
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-68582-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-68581-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-88624-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-68582-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 189
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 136 illustrations in colour
Head and Neck Surgery
- Buy this book on publisher's site