About this book
Derek Hodson, Emeritus Professor of Science Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), University of Toronto, Professor of Science Education at The University of Auckland (New Zealand), and Founding Editor of the Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education (CJSMTE).
The authors in the book deconstruct and analyse intricate economic, sociopolitical and affective networks that are behind the cycles of production, distribution and consumption of objects that are present in youngsters' daily lives and their attitudes towards them. Apart from breaking new ground by proposing and discussing socioculturally informed research about the topic, the book connects with pedagogical approaches that value critical perspectives on the nature of the relationship between science, technology, society and environment. It is a must-read for both researchers and practitioners interested in issues related to sustainability and citizenship education.
Isabel Martins, Professor of Science Education, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro/ Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ).
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Sociocultural Perspectives on Youth Ethical Consumerism
- Series Title Cultural Studies of Science Education
- Series Abbreviated Title Cultural Stud.Sci.Educat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-65608-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Education Education (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-65607-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-88065-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-65608-3
- Series ISSN 1879-7229
- Series E-ISSN 1879-7237
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVII, 266
- Number of Illustrations 77 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Sociology of Education
Sociology of Family, Youth and Aging
Learning & Instruction
- Buy this book on publisher's site