Table of contents
Development of Rural School Mental Health Initiatives: Rationale, Policies, Ethics, and Competencies
Clinical and Cultural Conditions in Rural School Settings
Addressing Challenges in Delivering Rural School Mental Health Services
Implementing, Evaluating and Sustaining Rural School Mental Health Programs
About this book
This handbook offers a comprehensive overview of school mental health (SMH) initiatives in rural areas in the United States. It offers clinical and administrative guidelines for innovative and effective programs addressing critical problems among rural youth and in areas where funding and resources are scarce. Chapters cover program development, implementation, sustainability, and evaluation; consider issues of community and policy support; address barriers to access and delivery; and debunk misconceptions about the region and its cultures. Chapters also discuss rural SMH applications relating to special populations, including students with autism, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, conduct disorders, and ADHD. In addition, the book examines the potential of school-based programs as a counter to the stigma and distrust of mental health services common to the region.
Topics featured in the Handbook include:
The Handbook of Rural School Mental Health is a must-have resource for researchers, scientist-practitioners, and graduate students in child and school psychology, educational psychology, social work/counseling, educational policymakers, pediatrics/school nursing, teaching, and teacher education.
- The value of rural SMH from an educator’s standpoint.
- Preventing suicide among students in rural schools.
- Substance abuse in rural school settings.
- Bullying and cyberbully among rural youth.
- Intergenerational patterns of mental illness in rural settings and their relevance for SMH.
- The importance of involving communities in culturally competent rural interventions.
ADHD in rural school settings Anxiety in rural school settings Bullying in rural schools Children’s mental health services Community mental health Conduct disorders in rural school settings Depression in rural school settings Pediatric bi-polar disorder in rural settings Rural mental health Rural school mental health Rural school mental health programs Rural school-based mental health School mental health School mental health in rural settings School-based mental health in rural settings School-based mental health services Substance abuse in rural school settings Suicide prevention in rural school settings Sustaining rural mental health programs Telemedicine in rural schools
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64735-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-64733-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-64735-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals