About this book
This book integrates current advances in biology, economics of information and linguistics research through applications using agent-based modeling and social network analysis to develop scenarios of communication and language emergence in the social aspects of biological communications. The book presents a model of communication emergence that can be applied both to human and non-human living organism networks. The model is based on economic concepts and individual behavior fundamental for the study of trust and reputation networks in social science, particularly in economics; it is also based on the theory of the emergence of norms and historical path dependence that has been influential in institutional economics. Also included are mathematical models and code for agent-based models to explore various scenarios of language evolution, as well as a computer application that explores language and communication in biological versus social organisms, and the emergence of various meanings and grammars in human networks.
Emergence of Communication in Socio-Biological Networks offers both a completely novel approach to communication emergence and language evolution and provides a path for the reader to explore various scenarios of language and communication that are not constrained to the human networks alone. By illustrating how computational social science and the complex systems approach can incorporate multiple disciplines and offer an integrated theory-model approach to the evolution of language, the book will be of interest to researchers working with computational linguistics, mathematical linguistics, and complex systems.
economics of information mental maps mathematical linguistics linguistic norms interspecies communication language emergence bio-chemical communication From cells to societies
- Book Title Emergence of Communication in Socio-Biological Networks
- Series Title Computational Social Sciences
- Series Abbreviated Title Comp. Soc. Sci.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64565-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-64564-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-87821-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-64565-0
- Series ISSN 2509-9574
- Series E-ISSN 2509-9582
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 88
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Data-driven Science, Modeling and Theory Building
Simulation and Modeling
- Buy this book on publisher's site