Table of contents
About this book
This advanced textbook provides a comprehensive and unified account of the moment problem. It covers the classical one-dimensional theory and its multidimensional generalization, including modern methods and recent developments.In both the one-dimensional and multidimensional cases, the full and truncated moment problems are carefully treated separately. Fundamental concepts, results and methods are developed in detail and accompanied by numerous examples and exercises. Particular attention is given to powerful modern techniques such as real algebraic geometry and Hilbert space operators. A wide range of important aspects are covered, including the Nevanlinna parametrization for indeterminate moment problems, canonical and principal measures for truncated moment problems, the interplay between Positivstellensätze and moment problems on semi-algebraic sets, the fibre theorem, multidimensional determinacy theory, operator-theoretic approaches, and the existence theory and important special topics of multidimensional truncated moment problems.
The Moment Problem will be particularly useful to graduate students and researchers working on moment problems, functional analysis, complex analysis, harmonic analysis, real algebraic geometry, polynomial optimization, or systems theory. With notes providing useful background information and exercises of varying difficulty illustrating the theory, this book will also serve as a reference on the subject and can be used for self-study.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64546-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-64545-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-64546-9
- Series Print ISSN 0072-5285
- Series Online ISSN 2197-5612
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking