About this book
In view of the current and forthcoming observational data on pulsar wind nebulae, this book offers an assessment of the theoretical state of the art of modelling them. The expert authors also review the observational status of the field and provide an outlook for future developments.
During the last few years, significant progress on the study of pulsar wind nebulae (PWNe) has been attained both from a theoretical and an observational perspective, perhaps focusing on the closest, more energetic, and best studied nebula: the Crab, which appears in the cover. Now, the number of TeV detected PWNe is similar to the number of characterized nebulae observed at other frequencies over decades of observations. And in just a few years, the Cherenkov Telescope Array will increase this number to several hundreds, actually providing an essentially complete account of TeV emitting PWNe in the Galaxy. At the other end of the multi-frequency spectrum, the SKA and its pathfinder instruments, will reveal thousands of new pulsars, and map in exquisite detail the radiation surrounding them for several hundreds of nebulae.
By carefully reviewing the state of the art in pulsar nebula research this book prepares scientists and PhD students for future work and progress in the field.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Modelling Pulsar Wind Nebulae
Diego F. Torres
- Series Title Astrophysics and Space Science Library
- Series Abbreviated Title Astrophysics, Space Sci.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-63031-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-63030-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-87458-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-63031-1
- Series ISSN 0067-0057
- Series E-ISSN 2214-7985
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 313
- Number of Illustrations 16 b/w illustrations, 105 illustrations in colour
Astrophysics and Astroparticles
Astronomy, Observations and Techniques
Theoretical, Mathematical and Computational Physics
- Buy this book on publisher's site