About this book
This handbook identifies the various social deficiencies widely associated with children and youth diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It discusses possible causes as well as the lifelong effects if these deficiencies are not addressed. The handbook presents current behavioral and curriculum-based methods for assessing social deficits. Chapters examine the various interventions that have been used to improve social skills and behavior, including video modeling, peer-mediated interventions, and script fading. Chapters also assess various interventions using empirically based procedures, evaluate the research of each of these procedures, provide guidelines for treatment planning, and offer clinical recommendations. The handbook concludes with future directions for the development of both social behavior and clinical social skills interventions.
Topics featured in the Handbook include:
- Impairments in social behavior that may result in negative outcomes such as depression, loneliness, and suicide in individuals with ASD.
- Bullying among youth with ASD.
- Behavioral skills training to promote social behavior of individuals with ASD.
- The Early Start Denver Model approach to helping young children with ASD.
- The implementation of social skills groups for individuals diagnosed with ASD.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Handbook of Social Skills and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Book Subtitle Assessment, Curricula, and Intervention
Justin B. Leaf
- Series Title Autism and Child Psychopathology Series
- Series Abbreviated Title Autism,Child Psychopathology Ser.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-62995-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-62994-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-87448-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-62995-7
- Series ISSN 2192-922X
- Series E-ISSN 2192-9238
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 445
- Number of Illustrations 7 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals