About this book
This monograph deals with the interrelationship between chemistry and physics, and especially the role played by quantum chemistry as a theory in between these two disciplines. The author uses structuralist approach to explore the overlap between the two sciences, looking at their theoretical and ontological borrowings as well as their continuity.
The starting point of this book is that there is at least a form of unity between chemistry and physics, where the reduction relation is conceived as a special case of this unity. However, matters are never concluded so simply within philosophy of chemistry, as significant problems exist around a number of core chemical ideas. Specifically, one cannot take the obvious success of quantum theories as outright support for a reductive relationship. Instead, in the context of a suitably adapted Nagelian framework for reduction, modern chemistry's relationship to physics is constitutive. The results provided by quantum chemistry, in particular, have significant consequences for chemical ontology.
This book is ideal for students, scholars and academics from the field of Philosophy of Science, and particularly for those with an interest in Philosophy of Chemistry and Physics.
- Book Title The Union of Chemistry and Physics
- Book Subtitle Linkages, Reduction, Theory Nets and Ontology
- Series Title European Studies in Philosophy of Science
- Series Abbreviated Title European Studies in Philosophy of Science
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60910-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-60909-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-86957-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-60910-2
- Series ISSN 2365-4228
- Series E-ISSN 2365-4236
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 295
- Number of Illustrations 19 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Philosophy of Science
Elementary Particles, Quantum Field Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site