About this book
This book focuses on the effects of industrial effluents, specifically those generated from tanneries, on aquatic life i.e. fish. Readers will learn about the impacts of untreated effluents that find its way into potable water bodies, rivers and lakes. A detailed analysis of the morphological and reproductive responses of fish to Chromium VI, a carcinogen and hazardous metal, will be provided.
Particular attention is given to the effects of these effluents on the guppy, a fish used for the biological control of malaria. Students and researchers in environmental science, biology, ecology, marine and freshwater sciences will find the book most appealing. Freshwater ecologists working in the field and managers responsible for the protection and monitoring of natural areas will also find this book interesting.
chromium VI carcinogenic tannery effluents histological techniques Pituitary gland Poecilia reticulata industrial waste morphological and reproductive responses bioaccumulation fisheries spermatogenesis
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-57654-1
- Copyright Information The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-57653-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-57654-1
- Series Print ISSN 2191-5547
- Series Online ISSN 2191-5555
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors