About this book
This unique account of English language acquisition by Latino elders shines intimate light on the increasingly complex concerns of aging immigrant minority populations. Rich qualitative findings detail sociocultural barriers to and social and emotive factors that promote second language acquisition in older age. The book’s case study highlights diverse cognitive and social processes as elders establish a sense of self as learners and as part of a learning community, and a sense of place as newcomers navigating a challenging environment. And first-person comments from the group members deftly illustrate the intricacies of being an immigrant in a rapidly changing America as well as the myriad intersections of race/ethnicity, gender, culture, and country that shape immigrant life.
Included in the coverage:
- Minority aging in an immigrant context.
- Late-life second language acquisition: cognitive and psycholinguistic changes, challenges, and opportunities.
- Building emotions for self-identity and learning.
- Practicing safe language socialization in private and public spaces.
- Language resocialization and gender allies.
- Aging, second language acquisition, and health.
English as second language aging in a second language Latino immigrants language English learner speech community immigration and language socialization aging in place aging as a Hispanic in a second language aging, immigration, and language language effect and immigrant well-being older Hispanic language acquisition teaching English to older Latino immigrants social constructivism and immigrant language learners social networks for Hispanic immigrants learning English language resocialization immigrant aging and language Mexican origin population and English language language acquisition and sociological status language assimilation and socioeconomic status
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-57609-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-57608-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-57609-1
- Series Print ISSN 2197-5841
- Series Online ISSN 2197-585X
- Buy this book on publisher's site