About this book
This short primer, geared towards students with a strong interest in mathematically rigorous approaches, introduces the essentials of classical physics, briefly points out its place in the history of physics and its relation to modern physics, and explains what benefits can be gained from a mathematical perspective.
As a starting point, Newtonian mechanics is introduced and its limitations are discussed. This leads to and motivates the study of different formulations of classical mechanics, such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, which are the subjects of later chapters.
In the second part, a chapter on classical field theories introduces more advanced material. Numerous exercises are collected in the appendix.
Lagrangian Mechanics Hamiltonian Mechanics Hamilton-Jacobi Theory Symplectic geometry Classical mechanics textbook
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56463-0
- Copyright Information The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-56462-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-56463-0
- Series Print ISSN 2191-5423
- Series Online ISSN 2191-5431
- Buy this book on publisher's site