About this book
This book describes the fascinating recent advances made concerning the chaos, stability and instability of semiconductor lasers, and discusses their applications and future prospects in detail. It emphasizes the dynamics in semiconductor lasers by optical and electronic feedback, optical injection, and injection current modulation. Applications of semiconductor laser chaos, control and noise, and semiconductor lasers are also demonstrated.
Semiconductor lasers with new structures, such as vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers and broad-area semiconductor lasers, are intriguing and promising devices. Current topics include fast physical number generation using chaotic semiconductor lasers for secure communication, development of chaos, quantum-dot semiconductor lasers and quantum-cascade semiconductor lasers, and vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers.
This fourth edition has been significantly expanded to reflect the latest developments. The fundamental theory of laser chaos and the chaotic dynamics in semiconductor lasers are discussed, but also for example the method of self-mixing interferometry in quantum-cascade lasers, which is indispensable in practical applications.
Further, this edition covers chaos synchronization between two lasers and the application to secure optical communications. Another new topic is the consistency and synchronization property of many coupled semiconductor lasers in connection with the analogy of the dynamics between synaptic neurons and chaotic semiconductor lasers, which are compatible nonlinear dynamic elements. In particular, zero-lag synchronization between distant neurons plays a crucial role for information processing in the brain. Lastly, the book presents an application of the consistency and synchronization property in chaotic semiconductor lasers, namely a type of neuro-inspired information processing referred to as reservoir computing.
- Book Title Semiconductor Lasers
- Book Subtitle Stability, Instability and Chaos
- Series Title Springer Series in Optical Sciences
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Ser. Optic. Sciences
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56138-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-56137-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-85836-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-56138-7
- Series ISSN 0342-4111
- Series E-ISSN 1556-1534
- Edition Number 4
- Number of Pages XXV, 666
- Number of Illustrations 234 b/w illustrations, 97 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information 4th ed.
Microwaves, RF and Optical Engineering
Atoms and Molecules in Strong Fields, Laser Matter Interaction
Optics, Lasers, Photonics, Optical Devices
- Buy this book on publisher's site