About this book
This book explores environmental challenges in the Baltic region from an economic perspective. Featuring contributions by regional experts from Nordic, Baltic and Eastern European countries it addresses the response to eutrophication caused by increased nutrients in the sea from agriculture, wastewater, industry and traffic. It then proposes cost-effective solutions to reach the Baltic Sea Action Plan (BSAP) targets set up through the Helsinki Commission (HELCOM).
Contributions also explore the environmental impacts of rural landscape change during the post-communist period in the Baltic Sea region and review the ex-post evaluations of the costs and benefits generated by Baltic Sea nutrient abatement policies. Public policies towards marine protection, wind power establishment, and attitudes to paying for environmental protection, environmental resilience and the international cooperation in the Baltic region are also discussed.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56007-6
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-56006-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-56007-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site