Table of contents
About this book
This exceptional volume analyzes the intricate roles interest plays in cognition, motivation and learning, and daily living, with a special focus on its development and maintenance across life domains. Leading experts discuss a spectrum of interest ranging from curiosity to obsession, and trace its functions in goal-setting, decision-making, self-regulation, and performance. New research refines the current knowledge on student interest in educational settings and the social contexts of interest, with insights into why interest levels change during engagement and in the long run. From these findings, contributors address ways to foster and nurture interest in the therapy room and the classroom, for optimum benefits throughout life.
Among the topics covered:· Embedding interest within self-regulation.
· Knowledge acquisition at the intersection of situational and individual interest.
· The role of interest in motivation and engagement.
· The two faces of passion.
· Creative geniuses, polymaths, child prodigies, and autistic savants.
· The promotion and development of interest.
A robust guide to a fascinating area of study, The Science of Interest synthesizes the field’s current knowledge of interest and indicates future directions. Its chapters contribute depth and rigor to this growing area of research, and will enhance the work of researchers in education, psychologists, social scientists, and public policymakers.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-55509-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-55507-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-55509-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking