About this book
This book provides new clues for understanding electrostatic charging in solids and liquids, resulting from the surge of research in this active area of science that is taking place since the 1990's but is still largely unknown to most researchers, lecturers and engineers.
Written by a leading researcher in this field, this book describes the formation and properties of the Earth capacitor, the production of environmental electricity and its effect on natural and anthropic systems and examines many situations in which water may play a decisive role in electrostatic behavior.
The authors present an informed critique of the long-held assumption that pure substances should be electroneutral. In this regard, the authors show that charge partition and accumulation is expected considering the electrochemical potential under non-zero electrostatic potential, which prevails at Earth surface.
This book provides conceptual tools to guide the reader through the complexities and consequences of electrostatic phenomena while covering exciting current topics such as energy scavenging from the environment, electrostatic based green production, energy-saving processes, electrochemistry at the solid-gas interface, therapeutic electrostatic treatments, applications in sanitation and pest control and control of atmospheric electricity and its use in climate engineering.
- Book Title Chemical Electrostatics
- Book Subtitle New Ideas on Electrostatic Charging: Mechanisms and Consequences
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-52374-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Chemistry and Materials Science Chemistry and Material Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-52373-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-84889-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-52374-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 230
- Number of Illustrations 46 b/w illustrations, 47 illustrations in colour
Tribology, Corrosion and Coatings
Power Electronics, Electrical Machines and Networks
Soft and Granular Matter, Complex Fluids and Microfluidics
Quality Control, Reliability, Safety and Risk
Environmental Science and Engineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site