About this book
This book reviews and critiques the growing literature on youth development under conditions of political violence and armed conflict. It presents a robust framework, based in developmental psychopathology, for evaluating current research on this topic for strength of design, methodology, and documentation. Cross-sectional and longitudinal studies from diverse regions and conflicts as well as across disciplines examine risks and challenges as well as resilience and coping as youth develop in unstable and threatening environments. In addition, this book provides strategies for designing and implementing prevention and intervention programs as well as further opportunities for expanding applied research for youth exposed to political violence and armed conflict.
Topics featured in this book include:
- Analysis of major research on youths’ normative and pathological development during political violence and war.
- Guidelines for assessing research studies on the impact of political violence and armed conflict on youth.
- The effects of social ecology factors (e.g., family, school, and community) on youth functioning.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy.
Political Violence, Armed Conflict, and Youth Adjustment is a must-have resource for researchers, professors, clinicians/professionals, and graduate students in the fields of child and school psychology, family studies, and public health as well as developmental psychology, child and adolescent psychiatry, political science, anthropology, social and peace psychology, sociology, and ethnic studies.
Aggression, children, war Bronfenbrenner, child development, political violence Child mental health and well-being Civil war and child development Communities, armed conflict, political violence Coping strategies and children affected by war Depression, youth, political violence Developmental psychopathology, violence, children Family dynamics and political violence Intergroup tensions and armed conflicts International conflicts and child development Longitudinal research, youth, armed conflicts Prevention and intervention, armed conflict, youth Prosocial behavior, children, armed conflicts Research designs, youth outcomes, armed conflict Resilience and children affected by war Social ecology and political violence Social identity, political violence, youth Translational research, children, war Youth, political violence, and armed conflict
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51583-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-51582-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-51583-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors