About this book
This book is an easy to read, yet comprehensive introduction to practical issues in research ethics and scientific integrity. It addresses questions about what constitutes appropriate academic and scientific behaviors from the point of view of what Robert Merton called the “ethos of science.” In other words, without getting into tricky questions about the nature of the good or right (as philosophers often do), Koepsell’s concise book provides an approach to behaving according to the norms of science and academia without delving into the morass of philosophical ethics.
The central thesis is that: since we know certain behaviors are necessary for science and its institutions to work properly (rather than pathologically), we can extend those principles to guide good behaviors as scientists and academics.
The Spanish version of this book was commissioned by the Mexican National Science Foundation (CONACyT) and is being distributed to and used by Mexican scientists in a unique, national plan to improve scientific integrity throughout all of Mexico. Available now in English, the examples and strategies employed can be used throughout the English speaking research world for discussing issues in research ethics, training for scientists and researchers across disciplines, and those who are generally interested in ethics in academia.
- Book Title Scientific Integrity and Research Ethics
- Book Subtitle An Approach from the Ethos of Science
- Series Title SpringerBriefs in Ethics
- Series Abbreviated Title SpringerBriefs in Ethics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51277-8
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-51276-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-51277-8
- Series ISSN 2211-8101
- Series E-ISSN 2211-811X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 115
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
History of Science
Philosophy of Science
- Buy this book on publisher's site