About this book
This second edition of Mike Inglis's classic guide to observing the Milky Way in the Northern Hemisphere updates all of the science with new findings from the astrophysics field, as well as featuring a larger format with entirely re-drawn maps. Newly laid out for ease of use with an increased number of images in color, it updates and improves the first edition to remain the most comprehensive book on the subject. One of the wonders of the universe we live in is the Milky Way, and this book provides a wonderful tour of its highlights for amateur astronomers.
Northern hemisphere observers interested in viewing our own galaxy's finest features will find herein detailed descriptions for every constellation that the Milky Way passes through, including stars, double and multiple stars, emission nebulae, planetary nebulae, dark nebulae and supernovae remnants, open and globular clusters, and galaxies.
Inglis also describes the one thing that is often left out of observing guides - the amazing star clouds of the Milky Way itself. In addition to the descriptive text there are many star charts and maps, as well as the latest images made by observatories and amateur astronomers around the world and in space. This updated version offers new scientific material and an easy-to-use layout perfect for many nights of fruitful observation.
- Book Title Astronomy of the Milky Way
- Book Subtitle The Observer’s Guide to the Northern Sky
- Series Title The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series
- Series Abbreviated Title Patrick Moore Pract.Astron.Series(formerly:Practical Astronomy)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-49082-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-49081-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-49082-3
- Series ISSN 1431-9756
- Series E-ISSN 2197-6562
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XVI, 344
- Number of Illustrations 135 b/w illustrations, 152 illustrations in colour
Popular Science in Astronomy
Astronomy, Observations and Techniques
Astrophysics and Astroparticles
- Buy this book on publisher's site