About this book
This first-of-its-kind volume assembles current research on psychosocial issues and behavioral and safety concerns inherent in life and careers at sea. Focusing mainly on the commercial maritime transport sector, it sets out the basic concepts of maritime psychology in the contexts of health and occupational psychology and illustrates more expansive applications across nautical domains. A systems perspective and detailed case studies spotlight unique challenges to mariners’ work performance, personal and environmental health and safety; it also provides support for psychometric assessment of seafarers, and describes emerging uses for the healing properties of the sea and sailing. The book is a springboard for continued research and practice development, further interaction between psychology and the maritime world, and the continued broadening and deepening of the field.
Among the topics covered:
· Positive psychology and wellbeing at sea.
· Transferring learning across safety critical industries.· Occupational stress in seafarers.
· The psychology of ship architecture and design.
· Motion sickness susceptibility and management at sea.
· Risk communication during a maritime disaster.
Written with clarity and nuance reflecting the vastness of marine experience, Maritime Psychology will be of interest to lecturers, researchers, and students of occupational and health psychology and maritime science, and to social and health scientists and practitioners in these and related fields.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Maritime Psychology
- Book Subtitle Research in Organizational & Health Behavior at Sea
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45430-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-45428-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-83292-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-45430-6
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 241
- Number of Illustrations 11 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site