About this book
This textbook presents ultraviolet and X-ray astronomy, gamma-ray astronomy, cosmic ray astronomy, neutrino astronomy, and gravitational wave astronomy as distinct research areas, focusing on the astrophysics targets and the requirements with respect to instrumentation and observation methods.
The purpose of the book is to bridge the gap between the reference books and the specialized literature. For each type of astronomy, the discussion proceeds from the orders of magnitude for observable quantities. The physical principles of photon and particle detectors are then addressed, and the specific telescopes and combinations of detectors, presented.
Finally the instruments and their limits are discussed with a view to assisting readers in the planning and execution of observations.
Astronomical observations with high-energy photons and particles represent the newest additions to multimessenger astronomy and this book will be of value to all with an interest in the field.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-44729-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-44728-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-44729-2
- Series Print ISSN 2198-7882
- Series Online ISSN 2198-7890
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors