About this book
Have you ever wondered what could happen when we discover another communicating species outside the Earth? This book addresses this question in all its complexity. In addition to the physical barriers for communication, such as the enormous distances where a message can take centuries to reach its recipient, the book also examines the biological problems of communicating between species, the problems of identifying a non-Terrestrial intelligence, and the ethical, religious, legal and other problems of conducting discussions across light years.
Most of the book is concerned with issues that could impinge on your life: how do we share experiences with ETI? Can we make shared laws? Could we trade? Would they have religion? The book addresses these and related issues, identifying potential barriers to communication and suggesting ways we can overcome them. The book explores this topic through reference to human experience, through analogy and thought experiment, while relying on what is known to-date about ourselves, our world, and the cosmos we live in.
- Book Title What We Know About Extraterrestrial Intelligence
- Book Subtitle Foundations of Xenology
- Series Title Space and Society
- Series Abbreviated Title Spa. Soc.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-44456-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-44455-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-83057-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-44456-7
- Series ISSN 2199-3882
- Series E-ISSN 2199-3890
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 430
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Space Sciences (including Extraterrestrial Physics, Space Exploration and Astronautics)
- Buy this book on publisher's site